Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Gee wiz, school's out!

Hooray, I have officially finished my undergraduate education!

Remember how I said I was going to practice making the classics to learn what real cooking is all about?


















Behold, I present to you the beautiful June Cleaver dish that Katie and I fixed last night while listening to country songs about tractors and knockin' back cold ones.
















I'm still not comfortable enough cooking steak to warrant buying one that's any good, so these $3 chops were pretty tough. But whatever we did to the outside of it tasted wonderful.

Spice Rub

1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. pepper
2 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. allspice

Sprinkle a thin layer on both sides of the steak before pan frying in some olive oil on medium heat.


Then Katie made this delicious and brilliant sage butter to go on top.

Sage Butter

2 Tbsp. butter
1 clove garlic, very finely minced
2 tsp chopped sage, dry leaf or fresh
1 tsp lemon peel
1 sprinkle salt

Mash everything together with a fork. Set aside to serve on top of the steak.

Broccoli Sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp worchestershire
1/2 tsp rice vinegar
1/4 tsp Sriracha

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Drop broccoli in boiling water for 2 minutes. Strain and return to pan. Add sauce along with the rest of the spice rub for the steak. Steam, covered until al dente.

Mashed Potatoes
The best part about mashed potatoes is that they are so easy. Forgiving proportions make it pretty difficult to screw up. If you haven't figured out how to make mashed potatoes taste good, you must be forgetting one of 3 ingredients: salt, butter, or garlic. I like to boil several whole cloves of garlic along with the potatoes and mash them up together.

Just some good old-fashioned eatin'.


Golly! I even ate all my vegetables!

No comments:

Post a Comment